Diestrammena asynamora Cricket

Sample information

Collection date 09/03/2022
Captive / Cultivated? Wild-caught
Group Edmund Burke School

The arthropod was collected inside of a house in an urban setting, in a bathroom sink. It was collected around the end of summer, when it was 72oF outside.

Putative identification Arthropoda Hexapoda Insecta Orthoptera Gryllidae


Extraction kit DNeasy (Qiagen)
DNA extraction location Abdomen
Single or Duplex PCR Single Reaction
Gel electrophoresis system MiniOne
Buffer TBE
DNA stain GelGreen
Gel images
Protocol notes

DNA EXTRACTION: I dissected the cricket’s abdomen and used that for the analysis.

GEL ELECTROPHORESIS: We encountered some issues with bubbles forming in the pipette tips when collecting the liquid. Although we do not believe that affected the results, it is important to consider that the Gel Electrophoresis did not go as smoothly as expected. We used a 10kb DNA ladder. (Gel electrophoresis pictures: IMG_0043 IMG_0042)

 ANALYSIS: All controls worked as expected. The band was visible for the Gel Electrophoresis Arthropod CO1 lanes but not for Wolbachia.


Wolbachia presence No
Confidence level High
Explanation of confidence level

All of my controls worked as expected. I did not face significant problems with the protocols and followed the instructions carefully for every step. Therefore, I am confident the arthropod is not infected with Wolbachia.

Wolbachia 16S sequence
Arthropod COI sequence Download FASTA    Download AB1
Summary The Gryllidae was found to be negative for Wolbachia.
Report Inappropriate Post