|Captive / Cultivated?||Wild-caught|
|Group||Edmund Burke School|
I collected this beetle in a corn field in Maryland in late august, it was about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It was caught in early afternoon. It was the only beetle in the immediate area that I could see.
|Putative identification||Arthropoda Hexapoda Insecta Coleoptera Scarabaeidae Xyloryctes Xyloryctes jamaicensis|
|Extraction kit||DNeasy (Qiagen)|
|DNA extraction location||Gonads dissected|
|Single or Duplex PCR||Single Reaction|
|Gel electrophoresis system||MiniOne|
10kb DNA ladder used.
The only thing I would redo for our lab would be the injection of the DNA/Controls into the gel. During this process we would occasionally go to deep or puncture the gel. 10kb DNA ladder used.
|Explanation of confidence level||
When we completed the PCR test, there weren’t any lines in an unexpected value, therefore there was no detected contamination in our tests. Our positive controls worked, and our negative controls showed no signs of contamination. The DNA ladder is a little weak, so we think we punctured the gel when prepping for Gel electrophoresis.
|Wolbachia 16S sequence||
|Arthropod COI sequence||
|Summary||The Xyloryctes jamaicensis was found to be negative for Wolbachia.|