|Captive / Cultivated?||Wild-caught|
|Group||Edmund Burke School|
The insect has spikes on its many legs. It didn’t have any fur or fuzziness on it and looks like it’s soft shelled. It has long antennas and has brown and golden colors.
|Putative identification||Arthropoda Hexapoda Insecta Orthoptera|
|Extraction kit||DNeasy (Qiagen)|
|DNA extraction location||Abdomen|
|Single or Duplex PCR||Single Reaction|
|Gel electrophoresis system||MiniOne|
DNA Extraction (10/04/23):
It was hard to crush up the body of the spider cricket. Even after crushing it up for awhile it wasn’t fully flat. The liquid was very chunky and almost stringy from the spider cricket.
I didn’t make any mistakes besides almost using the same pipette tip twice, but didn’t happen because my partner on the lab stopped me before I did it.
PCR (October 13, 2023):
Gel electrophoresis, Arthropod CO1 (October 18, 2023):
There was an outline of a band that appeared in this lane. It didn’t fully show up but you can defiantly still see it. There possibly might not have been enough DNA in the ladder. My DNA extraction possibly worked because it didn’t fully show up but something is still there.
Gel electrophoresis, Wolbachia, Arthropod PCR Day 2 (October 24, 2023):
Lane 1: Ladder, Lane 2: Yellowjacket (B1), Lane 3: Spider Cricket (B2), Lane 4: Cicada (B3), Lane 5: Ladybug (B4), Lane 6: Positive Control, Lane 7: Negative Control, Lane 8: Water, Lane 9: Empty
*Arthropod CO1 was not sent to Penn State because the PCR Protocol had to be re-runned.
|Explanation of confidence level||
I’m confident that it’s not Wolbachia positive because no band showed up on the gel.
|Wolbachia 16S sequence||
|Arthropod COI sequence||
|Summary||The Orthoptera was found to be negative for Wolbachia.|