|Captive / Cultivated?||Wild-caught|
|Group||Arroyo High School|
Tan color, long legs, large wings, hairy legs, long thin abdomen
|Putative identification||Arthropoda Hexapoda Insecta Diptera Tipulidae|
|Extraction kit||DNeasy (Qiagen)|
|DNA extraction location||Abdomen|
|Single or Duplex PCR||Single Reaction|
|Gel electrophoresis system||Standard electrophoresis system|
|DNA stain||SYBR Safe|
We made a 1% agarose gel for this protocol, with a positive arthropod control, negative arthropod control, and a positive DNA control. We also tested our samples for Arthropod CO1 to verify that we actually got arthropod DNA.
|Explanation of confidence level||
Our confidence in our results is low because there were no bands for our JJJ1 for our Arthropod CO1 gel, so we may have improperly done our DNA extraction or PCR protocols. In addition, our DNA control didn’t have a band for the Wolbachia gel despite appearing on the Arthropod gel.
|Wolbachia 16S sequence||
|Arthropod COI sequence||
|Summary||The Tipulidae was found to be negative for Wolbachia.|